Vitamin are indispensible organic compounds for body. Cells renew themselves, grow, develop and produce the required energy by using vitamins. Vitamin B12 deficiency cause many problems in body. Some vitamins cannot be synthesized in body or even if they are synthesized, it may not be enough. There vitamins should be reinforced by foods or pills. Vitamins are divided into two: Fat-soluble vitamins and water soluble vitamins. They are vital for body.
One of the most important and striking water-soluble vitamin is Group B. Group B vitamins are B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), B3 (Niacin), B5 (Pantothenic), B6 (Pyridoxine), B7 (Biotin), B12 (Cobolamyne) and folic acid.
What is B12?
One of the most wondered and searched subject is B12 is a water-soluble vitamin and it may be stored in body with small amount. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause some health problems. It is called as cobolamyne because of the mineral cobalt inside. There are 2 mg B12 in the liver of a healthy person. There are 2 mg B12 in other body cells, so there are totality 4 mg in body. It’s storage rate is so low and recommended taking daily. It is found in animal foods.
It is stored with small amounts in small and large intestine. It loses its feature when exposed to high temperature. B12 is involved in many mechanisms in the body. So of vitamin B12 deficiency causes some problems in body. These are it’s responsibilities:
- The production of red cells in the blood, myelin and DNA synthesis works together with folic acid.
- It is responsible for the synthesis of myelin sheaths surrounding nerve cells. B12 also increases the transmission speed of electrical signals.
- Takes part in the absorption of amino acids and B12 stored in the body.
- Effective in the functions of minerals such as magnesium and zinc.
Vitamin B12 Deficiency Symptoms
These are the vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms:
- Anemia may be seen. Because of anemia, fatigue, weakness, decreased effort, darkening of the eyes and impaired concentration may be seen.
- Mouth sores, lounge redness and burning sensation, night contractions of legs may be experienced. Also, diarrhea may be seen.
- Because of vitamin B12 deficiency, tingling and numbness in arms, legs and hands may be seen. Impairment of mental functions may occur.
- It may cause memory loss and forgetfulness, especially in the old ones.
- With aging, B12 is difficult to store in body and may occur problems in its absorption. Of vitamin B12 deficiency may cause depression in older people.
- Problems occur in the synthesis of body cells and slow down metabolism.
Foods Containing Vitamin B12
The amount of B12 in healthy people is 150 pg/ml. If this amount is under 80 pg/ml, it can be said that there may be problem. It is recommended to take 2,4 mg B12 by foods. Mostly, B12 deficiency is caused by under nutrition, absorption disorders or by the use of gastric drugs such as glyph or, microphone and omeprazole. It is important to take foods rich in vitamin B12. These foods are:
- Offal such as spleen and liver,
- Shellfish such as oyster, shrimp and mussels
- Trout, herring, mackerel and tuna,
- Milk, yoghurt, cheese,
- Egg, these foods contain plenty of vitamin B12 in foods.
How to Treat Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Firstly, the reason should be determined which cause deficiency. After this, needle B12 is suggested or any other treatments according to the reasons. If a diet is the reason of deficiency (especially the people choose feeding vegan), B12 drug or sublingual tablets are suggested. If the problem is based on absorption, the drug or tablet won’t be beneficial.
In the treatment of deficiency based on absorption, vitamin B12 reinforcement by needle is more suitable. Vitamin B12 deficiency is disappeared. B12 drugs produced 500 mcg or 1000 mcg tablets are enough for daily need. It is enough to take 1000 mcg drug twice a week. You can visit our page to read our article on vitamin D3 deficiency.